Tuesday, December 01, 2009

My first real performance...

... I'm peeing myself already, and the show doesn't actually happen until 7:30 pm tomorrow night in the music theatre in the basement of the Imig Music Building.  I expect to see you there, even if I do pee my pants.

Suffice it to say that things haven't gone as I had expected in my opera theatre class.  We didn't practice during class time as much as I expected, we had to provide parts of our own costumes, I sometimes stink at learning new music... etc.  I haven't ever really felt fully prepared and comfortable for it, and the performance is less than 24 hours away.

But I realized this morning how actually unprepared I really am.  Rehearsal did not go well.  (Keep in mind that I have ridiculously high standards for myself and that I'm always trying to prove myself to my peers.)  It had been over a week since the last rehearsal, what with Thanksgiving break and all. 

I didn't know my entrances, I didn't get the notes, I forgot some words, I missed some blocking.  Basically, everything that could possibly go wrong (aside from me crying) did.  I was very, very unhappy with my showing.

Dress rehearsal tonight was just as wretched.  We started out by blocking a new scene.  It's very easy, mind you, but still a little chaotic.  Plus, we practiced set changes, which was disastrous.  The lights during nearly every scene were all kinds of messed up.  I have a fast costume change that involves putting tights onto sweaty feet, and I didn't quite get the knee-highs high enough not to be seen from under my dress.

However, I only messed up one part of my scene, and managed my set change well.  I think that tomorrow will be fine, as far as I'm concerned.  And the show is actually pretty fantastic.  There's lots of variety, lots of fun costumes, some raciness, and of course, a ton of great talent.

It is my first solo public performance at CU, though, so I am a little bit nervous.  And my sponsors invited 50 of their friends and asked if they could bring me roses...  So embarrassing.

I'll let you all know how it goes, but if you have free time, be sure to stop by!

1 comment:

  1. I hear a bad dress rehearsal is actually good luck... :) So without saying "good luck" again (because it's bad luck to say good luck right?") Ram the shit out of them Cookie!

    ReplyDelete