Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lock 'er down!!! (or something...)

At North Sargent High School in Gwinner, North Dakota, the high school hallway is lined with bright red, floor-to-ceiling lockers.  Every student in grades 7-12 is assigned one.  An outsider can tell the age of a student based on where his/her locker is, because locker location is determined by class year.  It's kind of ironic that as kids get closer to graduation, their lockers are closer to the high school exit doors...  

Now, way back when I was in high school, the cool kids jammed their lockers so that they wouldn't have to put in their combination every time they wanted to open their lockers.  Although it was really to save time, it wasn't really necessary. With 4 minutes between classes and the farthest class being 10 feet away, time really wasn't an issue.  Even with lockers jammed, it was rare that something was stolen.  I kept mine locked, anyway.

At Jamestown College, there were no lockers.  I didn't even consider it as an option, actually.  Campus is really small, and something like 85% of students live on campus, so it's not a necessity.  I always carried all of my books around in my backpack, and never considered it strange.

Something that really surprised me when I came to CU was that The College of Music offers lockers to students.  It makes sense, really, because people don't want to lug around a huge double bass or guitars everywhere they go.  When I was given the option to get one, though, I never even considered it.  It seemed weird to me that students would keep their books in their lockers.  Or their coats, or what have you.  Plus, I lived on campus, so it was easy for me to go back and forth.

Now, I live in Broomfield, and the number of bags that I was carrying with me to and from school every day was ranging from 2-3.  My back was wanting to kill me.  However, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I have a locker now.  And it rocks.  No more carrying 50000 pounds on my back all day, every day!  And I have a place to store my coat.  And... it's just unbelievable convenient.

Yay for reversion to high school!

1 comment:

  1. Concordia has lockers in its music building too. I love hiding in them... :)

    ReplyDelete