Saturday, October 10, 2009

A very Denver adventure

Last week, I learned that Jen had friends coming from Connecticut.  The plan was to head to Denver on Friday night to party it up downtown.  No one said anything to me about the plan changing, so all week I assumed it was the same...

Then, on Thursday, I asked Christina what the plan was for Friday night, and she said, "Oh, well, I'm going to stay at Jedd's and go to his parents' house on Saturday, and Jake and Holly backed out, so I don't know what Jen and her friends are doing."  Basically, they decided not to go to Denver, but forgot to inform me.

Kenny and I had been looking forward to going to Denver all week, so we decided to go without them.  We invited a bunch of our friends from CO and just hoped someone would come with us.  But even if no one else wanted to come, we were still going to go.  

The afternoon began with us heading to the largest video rental place in Boulder called "The Video Store."  We have to watch five operas for our Italian diction class, so we rented two, and decided to buy a bottle of wine to get a start on drinking before we headed to the city.  We found a liquor store (where someone asked us if we were "together"...haha), hoping to buy some Asian plum wine that Kenny likes, but they didn't have it.  We settled on a red blend and some vodka, and hit the road.  

Neither of us had really eaten lunch, and we still aren't used to the eleveation, so starting to drink at 5:00 while I was making supper probably wasn't a great idea, but the idea of wine and "Tosca" just seemed too fun not to drink. 

I decided to make a dish my mom used to make sometimes, but hasn't in a while.  I had some stovetop stuffing and chicken breasts, so I thought I would bake them together to make a delicious supper.  Then, after reading the recipe, I realized I didn't have any cream of chicken soup.  I was really worried about the stuffing getting too dry in the oven without the soup, so I used the best substitute I could think of that I had on hand: ramen noodles.  (I may not have been sober at this point.)  So I added a batch of chicken-flavored ramen to the the stuffing and chicken and popped it in the oven.

In the meantime, Kenny and I were still lining up people to come on the trip, trying to find what buses to take, how to get to the bars we wanted to go to, etc.  And kind of watching opera.

Before we knew it, the whole bottle of wine was gone, and we were definitely not sober.  It was like 6:30.  Very easily the earliest I've ever been that drunk.  The chicken/stuffing/ramen went well with instant garlic mashed potatoes (or so I thought).

Finally, after me taking a shower that I've been told was the longest shower in the history of the world, which to me felt like the fastest shower I've taken since I moved here, Richard, Kenny, and I headed to the bus stop. 

The bus ride to Denver took about an hour, during which time we may have been those people, talking loudly and joking around a lot.  When we finally arrived at Union Station, and it was cold.  I mean cold cold.  With flurries.  Soooo windy.  Kenny, our navigator, led us down the street.  After about a block, he was like, "I think we have to go the other way, because I'm not sure we can cross the tracks here."  Okay, turn around.  We finally crossed the tracks and backtracked about a block.

We had distinctive plans to go to Sing Sing, an infamous dueling piano bar, and we knew it was on 19th street, just not exactly where on 19th.  So we got to 19th, and turned right.  And walked 3 blocks before Kenny knew that we had gone too far.  Thank goodness I keep my GPS in my purse.  We soon became those people on the street in Denver, not knowing where they were or how to get to where they needed to go and using Mr. TomTom for directions. 

Mr. TomTom told us that we had to go 3 blocks in the direction that we had come from.  Yes, that's right, we basically walked right past it.  So we had to turn around (again) and walk INTO the wind to get to Sing Sing.  It was F-ing freezing.  But it was warm in Sing Sing!!

After paying the $7 cover, we chose a table directly underneath a fan blowing cold air.  Not helpful.  So we moved again.  And again, we were right under the fan.  So we moved again.  And commenced drinking long island teas.  Again.  haha... 

Let me tell you more about Sing Sing, the dueling piano bar.  Tons of fun. Two pianists take requests (and tips) to play whatever song.  Usually, they have raunchy versions of the songs that have the whole crowd cracking up.  They invite people onstage for their birthdays, anniversaries, etc, and sing to them, make them do crazy things, etc.  Very funny.  Occasionally, the waitstaff jumps on stage (and onto the pianos... ack!) and dances to a choreographed song.  Hilarious.  And they have buzz buckets, which are exactly what they sound like.  I didn't get a picture of one, unfortunately, but I did get a picture of the boys drinking from one:


Richard, Dennis, and Kenny with their buzz bucket straws

Eventually, as you can see, Dennis joined us, and we took Jello shots from giant syringes.  Shortly after, Liz and Will joined us, and we became those people in the bar, who were singing really loudly and were the only ones standing up and dancing.  Thank goodness we were kind of in the corner.  In true Raissa fashion, I took my stupid heels off in the bar because my feet hurt.

At some point, my phone died, so I have no clue what time it was when all six of us climbed into Dennis's little car to go to Pete's Kitchen, an all-night diner on Colfax that's pretty popular with the bar crowd, I guess, considering the police were just hanging out there.  We ate some 4th meal, and Dennis agreed to drive us back so that we wouldn't have to take the bus back. 

A pretty fun night, considering it was planned on such short notice.  We plan on doing it again.  When it's not freezing cold.

I woke up at 1:00 this afternoon to see an inch of snow on the ground here.  Lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment