Thursday, October 29, 2009

Life's a Drag, but not for them!

Tonight was an interesting night for me: CU's Gay-Straight Alliance held its fourth annual drag show and I was there to take it all in.

Let me begin by saying that one of the many significant differences between CO and ND is that here, people are much more open-minded when it comes to sexual orientation.  One of the first people I met and made friends with when I moved to CO is gay.  We hang out all the time now.  In fact, many of my closest friends here in CO are gay.  According to these gay friends of mine, this makes me a "fag hag" (which I find to be rather negative), so I'll say "fruit fly." 

I'd never heard the term before, so I did what any good child of my generation does upon encountering something unfamiliar: I googled it.  What I found wasn't really all that suprising, I guess.  Basically, there are just some girls who, for a variety of reasons, get along well with gay men.  Some are proud to be called "fag hags," and they actively pursue gay friends.

That's not how it was with me.  One day, I had zero gay friends, and the next day, I was being told that gay guys would want to hang out with me because of my personality.  Then, without changing my behavior at all, I had lots of gay friends.  It wasn't one of my goals when I moved to CO by any means, but I enjoy it.  I hate to say it because it's so stereotypical of the relationship between straight women and gay guys, but it's safe, in more ways than one.

So when I saw in the student newsletter that there would a drag show tonight, and because I knew that at least one of my gay friends has at least had an inkling of a desire to be a drag queen, I suggested we go. 

The theme was "Drop Dead Gorgeous," and all I can say about it is: "Whoa."  Guys dressed as girls, girls dressed as guys, people dressed in such a way that we couldn't tell their gender, and random costumes filled the ballroom.  There were straight people, gay people, lesbians, bisexual people, androgynous people...  You name it, we were there. 

The entertainment featured Nsync, Michael Jackson, a French man (woman?), and too many others to be counted.  Props to those who performed, and thanks to those in the audience.  It was really an interesting night for me.

If you ever have the opportunity to take one of these in, do it.  It's worth your time, if for no other reason than the experience.  And go with your gay friends.  It's way better that way.

1 comment:

  1. I used to be a fag hag... now I live in North Dakota, where the gays remain in the closet :( FUN! night though. I'm a little jealous... Yey for Cookie!!

    ReplyDelete