Wednesday, November 11, 2009

C is for Cookie

Ever since I can remember, my nickname has been Cookie.  No one seems to know where it came from or how I got it.  It's just Cookie.

In high school, almost everyone called me Cookie, except for males and teachers.

When I went to college, when I introduced myself to new people, I said something along the lines of: "I'm Raissa." 
New friend: "What's your name?"
Me: "Raissa, but you can call me Cookie."


Before long, as many people (if not more) were calling me Cookie rather than Raissa.  It didn't take long for professors to catch wind of my nickname and soon may of them were calling me Cookie, too. 

When I moved to Colorado, I made a decision not to introduce myself as Cookie.  When I told my friends back home about my plans, they were geniunely sad.  They said things like, "But you're way more of a Cookie than a Raissa," and, "You're too cute to be Raissa!"  But I stuck with my decision.

Don't get me wrong, because I really like the nickname, and it doesn't bother me when people call me it at all.  It's part of my identity.  But I felt that moving to Colorado was moving into a professional career, and I can't imagine a famous opera star being called Cookie.  Everyone here calls me Raissa, and I've become accustomed to it.  So much so that when Katie R. visited and called me Cookie, it sounded weird. 

My name on facebook is "Raissa Cookie Johnson," and a few people have asked me if my middle name is Cookie.  I explain to them that it's my nickname, and a few call me Cookie on occasion as a joke.  They are aware of the nickname and no longer get confused when I tell stories with Cookie in them, although it was confusing at first.

I might start introducting myself as Cookie again, just for fun.  But it might be too late, because my closest friends here already call me Raissa... 

1 comment:

  1. Cookie. Now and Forever. And hells yes, there could be an opera star named "Cookie." All you need is a cone bra and you'd be JUST like Madonna... no last name.

    ReplyDelete