Monday, November 02, 2009

This is why I never did Halloween (not really, but it's a good excuse)

Even when I was little, I didn't really like to dress up for Halloween.  I remember dressing up as a hobo and a clown, but that's all.  Sometime between sixth and eighth grade, the "cool" (as I remember them) girls in my class put their hair in high ponytails and dressed in poodle skirts, but didn't invite me, so my mom went to the bar and got a giant bear costume wearing Coors Light apparel.  I don't think I ever dressed up after that.

Through college, people raved about what they were going to dress up as for months before Halloween actually arrived.  I never went to a single Halloween party in my four years of college, athough in my senior year Guillaume made me go to one.  I wasn't dressed up and felt incredibly awkward because of it, so I left within five minutes of my arrival.  Last year, I was excited to work at Grizzly's on Halloween night because I thought that it meant that I didn't have to dress up.  Then they told me that dressing up on Halloween was part of the job requirement.  My friend made me a nondescript costume, and I was a ... I don't know what I was.  I was a girl in a weird costume.

As time has gone on in Boulder, I've made quite a few friends.  Almost all of them are students in the School of Music, and basically all of them had plans to go to the same Halloween party.  I planned to go without dressing up until the hostess told me that I had to or she wouldn't let me in.  Thus began my Halloween saga.

Had Dennis not asked me to be his "date" for the evening, I would have sat at home alone.  But he claimed me for the evening, and I let him do all of the planning.  We started out at Pasta Jay's, drinking wine, eating pasta, and watching some random people doing the "Thriller" dance in the middle of Pearl Street.  After dinner, we headed to my house to "dress up."  For me, "dressing up" = a cape.  

Our first stop was a no-alcohol party that involved tons of people and lots of dancing.  We didn't stay long before we headed to Megan's apartment in Broomfield for the real party.  We were greeted at the door by 3 drag queens, and that pretty much set the tone for the whole night.  The party involved random alcohol (of which I drank too much), dancing (after everyone was drunk), eating (way too much), and conversing (although I don't remember much of it).  It was a pretty good time, even when Maxx came in from outside and pulled the vertical blinds right off of the wall.  I was feeling good enough to dance (if you know what I mean...) and it seemed way too early when Megan kicked us all out.

As we were leaving, Dennis and Richard got off the elevator, but Maxx and I forgot to get off with them.  We didn't realize it until we got back to the fourth floor and saw Kenny and Austin waiting for the elevator.  Needless to say, Dennis, our driver, was not too impressed.  I remember nothing of the whole drive home, except that Jettie called me and that I somehow decided to have a party at my apartment.  I clearly wasn't thinking.

When we got home, Pasha was waiting for Maxx and me to "party," but I didn't have any alcohol, so Pasha suggested we go to a party at his classmate Bridget's house.  It was within walking distance of my apartment, so we headed there, (Maxx in his jeans and tranny heels... whoa).  

The party was crazy.  We knew no one, and Pasha only knew Bridget, but that didn't stop us from having a grand old time.  We danced the night away while drinking keg beer.  When we took a break from dancing, we went to the basement to rest and were mooned repeatedly by the same man.  Finally, we decided to leave and arrived back home at about 4:30 (including the time change).  We hung out for a while before Maxx fell asleep and Pasha went home.

I went to the bathroom, where I proceeded to drop my phone into the toilet.  It was out of commission until Sunday afternoon, when the nice man at Batteries Plus fixed it for free. 

I was out of commission until I went to bed Sunday night.

Me and my favorite drag queens: Kenny and Austin


No comments:

Post a Comment