Thursday, November 12, 2009

In the Center

In previous posts, I have briefly mentioned my work study job.  I've had such great experiences there this week that I feel like it's time you all knew more about it.

I get a whole $900 a semester for work study.  I mean, I won't complain, because that's $900 I don't have to pay back in loans, but it's not a whole lot.  It's difficult to find an employer who wants someone to work only $900 worth of time in a whole semester.

My official position in the Center of the American West is Student Assistant, which is a catch-all for basically anything.  "The Center," as we call it, was founded in 1989, and has done nothing but grow since.  The Center brings together people from all sorts of disciplines to focus on issues that are currently affecting and will affect "The West" (which is a difficult term to define in itself). 

Most of the time, I do really routine things like mail packets, make copies, answer telephones, and inventory.  It's nothing to get shaken up about, but the atmosphere in the office is great.  Everyone is so so so nice and helpful, and we have a good time.

Wednesday night brought a student-faculty dinner at Patty's house.  Patty is the chair of The Center, and is one of the founders.  She's quite famous in the history world, and speaks all around the country on a regular basis.  She teaches, writes, speaks...  She does it all.

Back to Wednesday...  I helped set up for the dinner, then mingled and drank wine, and helped clean up.  It doesn't sound spectacular, but it was a great time.  (n.b.: Patty lives across the street from the JonBenet Ramsey house.  Literally.)

Tonight, I had the pleasure of helping out with the release for Patty's new book, "Remedies for a New West."  Again, setting up, tearing down, and having fun.

I love my coworkers, and it's really exciting to learn about the things that go on in The Center.  I've learned a lot that I didn't know before I worked there, and we all know how much I like to learn random things. 

Now if only I could work more hours there... 
-----------------------------------------------
For more information about The Center, please see our website: http://www.centerwest.org, and follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/centerwest.

To buy a copy of the book, contact me.  Because that's my job.  haha..

No comments:

Post a Comment