Thursday, September 24, 2009

All are ignorant...

I can't lie and say that when it comes to other states, I'm not ignorant.  Because I probably am.  And because I like to compare myself to others, I assume that others are also ignorant about the goings-on in other states.

On the other hand, though, I consider myself to relatively knowledgeable about the important things about states other than North Dakota.  Now, I'm not talking about random trivia like when the state was admitted into the Union, or who the Senators are, or the population.  I'm talking about BIG things.  Things like that the Grand Canyon is in Arizona and that Jack Daniel's is made in Tennessee. 

Maybe I'm asking too much to assume that others know these things about states other than their own.  Maybe I received an education about what I would call a state's defining features that surpasses the education of my peers.  Either way, I have to tell all of you this:

Mount Rushmore is in South Dakota, not North Dakota.

I understand that to people who aren't from the area, ND and SD are probably indistinguishable, and that no one really cares about us.  But the fact of the matter is that I feel that Mount Rushmore is one of those defining features that ALL people should just know about.  I mean, really, aside from Sturgis, what would South Dakota have without Mt. Rushmore? 

Don't get me wrong, now, because I would LOVE to have something like Mt. Rushmore in ND: something really, really famous.  Yes, we have Medora, and the largest buffalo in the world, and the largest Holstein cow in the world, and the geographical center of North America, but those things aren't (in my opinion) of the magnitude of Mt. Rushmore.  When people find out that Rushmore is in SD and not ND, they usually ask, "Well, what's in ND?"  And I usually answer, "Nothing," because I can't really think of something like MR in ND.  (If I'm wrong, tell me.)

If you are one of those people who didn't know that "the big rock with the Presidentss faces on it" was in SD, and not ND, I forgive you, and I won't hold it against you.  I'm sure there are things about your state that you feel everyone should know about and they don't.  But if that's true, you should tell me about it so that I don't have to be ignorant!!
-------------------------------------------
On a side note, I've been writing an awful lot of stuff that's not really related to my schooling here. If that bothers you, let me know, and I'll try to write more about the important things in life.  After all, I'm writing this as much for you as I am for me, so I want to make you happy! 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment