Monday, September 21, 2009

Too many Teas: A night out in Boulder

Early last week, on maybe Monday or Tuesday, I was in my room, doing something on my computer.  Christina was standing in the hallway, and I looked at her and said,

"I need to go out.  It's time.  I haven't been out in Boulder since I got here over a month ago."

So she said, "Okay, well, let's go out this weekend." 

And so it was planned.  On Thursday, she talked to some of her housing staff people, I talked to Ken, and we agreed that a Saturday night at the Dark Horse was in order (more on the Dark Horse later, for my Medora friends who realize how similar "The Dark Horse" sounds to "The Iron Horse").

Christina drove Ken and me to the Dark Horse and dropped us off before going to pick up Jen.  We met Johanna there, and ordered a couple of long island teas.  The five of us had a good time chatting about life.  Before I knew it, two teas were down and I was pretty much really tipsy.  Or drunk... It was already a struggle not to drunk text at that point, and it was barely 10:00 pm.

During our conversation, I learned some things about myself that I never knew before... ask me sometime.  Not really fodder for a blog.  It's intense.

Oh, what the hell.  Here's some information that I learned about myself on Saturday night (but you should still ask me about the intense stuff):
  • I have a "big personality"
  • I'm not afraid of diseases that can be incurred from walking long distances barefoot
  • I'm especially not afraid of giving relationship advice, even to near strangers, when drunk
  • Drunk texting is bad
    • Okay, I knew that before, actually, but that night reiterated its badness to me
By midnight, Ken and I had each had four long island teas, and we wanted to head to downtown Boulder to check out the bars there.  However, neither of us had driven, and we didn't want to make Christina leave The Dark Horse any earlier than she wanted to.  Those ladies couldn't really come with us to downtown because of the nature of thier jobs, so we decided to take the bus from WillVille to town, and I had the perfect bus stop route in my head.

Well, we jumped on the BuffBus from WillVille to Main Campus, and arrived at the stop near my apartment shortly after midnight.  What we failed to know was that public transportation stops running at midnight.  But bars are open until 2:00 am here, so we still had some drinking time.

We decided to walk the 2 miles or so to Downtown, taking a short detour through The Hill District.  I had to take my heels off because my feet hurt, and walked the entire way without shoes...

Finally, we reached Pearl Street, and went into the first bar we found.  At that point, we didn't care about the bar, we just wanted to drink.  We took a shot and ordered yet another long island tea, and took this picture:




We closed down the bar, and walked back to my apartment, another 2.5 miles.  Barefoot.  Wasted.  We arrived at about 3:00 am.

I made toast and we watched some opera on youtube, then hit the hay.

Not a bad night for my first time out in Boulder.  Hopefully, there will be many more to come, with friends who visit me... (hint!) 

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA Oh this story rocks. I'm raising my glass to you, Cookie. Here's to more stories just like this one!

    ReplyDelete