Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hampson Master Class

On October 11th, Thomas Hampson, one of the most famous American baritones, is coming to CU to give a concert.  Hampson is most well-known for his renditions of American songs, and this concert, entitled "Song of America" features only American songs. 

The day following the concert, Hampson will be giving a master class.  For those who are unfamiliar with the term (I actually had to google it myself... I only had a general idea of the defiintion), in a master class, someone who is an expert (or master - get it?) in their field gives lessons (or a class - haha) to people who aren't experts.  It's basically a fancy word for a lesson, but with someone who's a genius.

I'm not sure how CU usually does a master class, but for this one, students must be invited to audition to have a chance at getting into the class.  I think that usually, anyone can audition to be in the master class, and the top 6 are the ones who actually get to sing for the master.  This time, one must to be invited to audition.  Crazy.

What's crazier yet is that I was invited to audition.  Next week Monday, I'll be singing for the voice faculty, and if they choose me, the following Friday, I'll get to sing for Mr. Hampson himself.  Wish me luck!  I'll let you all know how it goes.

For more information on Thomas Hampson, check out his website.

2 comments: