Wednesday, September 02, 2009

tutti

tutti: Italian meaning "all"

It's Wednesday.  a.k.a. Studio Day.  Not only is it Wednesday, but it's the first Wednesday of the month.  What does all that mean??  It means "tutti."

Here at CU - Boulder, voice studios meet every Wednesday, which means that all of the students under a certain professor meet and perform for each other, then critique each other concerning the performances.  But on the first Wednesday of every month, all of the studios come together (thus "tutti"), and a few people perform for the whole voice department.

Prof. Mason told me last week that he would love for me to sing this week at tutti, and I couldn't tell him no.  So, terrifying as it was, I did.  It was mostly terrifying because I'd never even seen a tutti, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

I'm really, really critical of myself, so if you ever get annoyed at me saying that I didn't do that well, too bad.  That's how I roll.  So the performance definitely didn't go as well as it could have.  Once again, I let my nerves get the best of me. 

The others who sang rocked.  I am still shocked at how many talented people are here.  It's unbelievable to me.  In my mind, I don't compare.  I realize they all have more training to me, and that that is where I'm heading.  I can't figure out why Prof. Mason wanted to me to sing on the stage with those other people singing, too, because it made me feel so inadequate!  Ack!  I didn't sing badly, but seriously, those girls were amazing!!!

Of course, I received compliments afterward, but everyone does.  It's a requirement.  You always tell people that they did well.  So of course, I got compliments, but I wasn't pleased with my performance.  I'm looking forward to a critique with Prof. Mason, so that I know what he thought.  Honestly.

In case you're curious what I sang, here it is, but this is Rene Fleming, and she's amazing.  You can get an idea of the song, if nothing else.  Maybe at some point, I'll post myself, but that day is not today!

-----------------------
On a completely different note, sad news in the NoDak today.  The Bobcat plant in Bismarck is closing, which will be a huge blow for the state's economy.  Those poor, poor people in Bismarck.  It may be good for Gwinner employees, because many who have been laid off will probably get their jobs back.  But it's just not a good situation...

No comments:

Post a Comment