Saturday, September 12, 2009

DJ in CO

Presently, my life is not too exciting.  Therefore, this blog is going to be mostly about someone who isn't me.  But it's okay, because I got his permission.

Last night, I had the pleasure of dining with DJ, a friend who I met during my summer soirees in Medora, ND.  DJ is the lead guitarist for The Coal Diggers (scroll to the bottom to see DJ), the onstage band that plays for the Medora Musical, a musical review that plays nightly at 8:30 June through September.  (Yes, that was an advertisement.  They should pay me.)  This summer was his ninth summer doing that gig.  Ninth.  And you people think I'm crazy after only having been there 3.

And if you're thinking to yourself, "Someone visited Cookie in CO?"  Well, that's right.  DJ is the first friend to visit me here.  The rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Okay, that's not really fair, because DJ didn't come all the way to CO to see me.  He came to work for a few days. 

 "Work for a few days?" you ask?  "Just a few days? How is that possible?" 

 Well, my friends, DJ is a musician.  (A real one.)  His time spent in CO was mostly devoted to recording lessons for the online company jamplay.com.  The whole purpose of jamplay is to teach people how to play guitar.  It's simple: pay a monthly fee to subscribe, and then watch as many videos as you want in order to learn at your own pace.  Then, voila!  You can play guitar with the best of them.  (Or something like that.)  The website features 20,000 or so minutes of online videos. 

Back to the story... 

DJ agreed to meet me in Loveland, CO for supper.  He had gone into Estes park for a few hours, and was staying in Greeley, so it was right along the way for him.  I was a little late in arriving at Arte Pizzeria because I may have been a little lost.  No worries, though.  I found myself. 

Arte Pizzera had read great reviews online, and I hadn't had a slice of pizza since I left Medora over a month ago.  It was time.  The pizza was pretty good.  Not exactly what I was expecting, but good.

We ordered, talked about Medora and CO, and then about DJ's big trip. He left for Yellowstone today, then is heading to the upper Northwest to hit up Oregon and Washington, then SanFran, LA, Las Vegas, Boston, New York, back to Vegas, and then to New Mexico, before headed back to Tennessee, which is where I think he now calls home.  Along the way, he's giving shows, so if you're in the area, you should see if you can find any info about it.  He's pretty good.

After dinner, DJ went on his way to Starbucks, leaving me with the leftover pizza to take home.  I left thinking to myself, "My, it was good to get out of Boulder and see a familiar face." 

Familiar faces are always welcome in my apartment.

Thanks for the visit, DJ!  I enjoyed your company mucho!

To learn more about DJ, you can check out www.myspace.com/djphillipsmusic

To learn more about his band, Brother Big Bad, you can check out http://www.brotherbigbad.com/, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment